The Student Council
Wexford Educate Together believes it is important to listen to and respect the ideas and concerns of our students. The student’s council is a means to do just that.
The Students Council is an opportunity for students to play an active role in the life of their school. They work in partnership with the management and staff for the benefit of the school and its students. The council gives students an outlet to voice their opinions and ideas which helps to create a positive school atmosphere.
The role of the Student council
- provide an opportunity for pupils to voice their opinions and offer suggestions in relation to many aspects of school life
- discuss issues relevant to our school and encourage and promote initiatives from the pupils
- offer an opportunity for all pupils to voice their opinions on proposed changes and thereby play a very significant role in improving our school
- act as a channel of communication within the school organisation, between pupils and between home and school
- encourage pupils, and thereby their parents, to organise events central to the life of the school
- provide an opportunity to raise funds for charities or for our School Fund.
The Election Process
Every year an election is held. Those who wish to be involved can apply for the student’s council. They are then invited to canvas for elections. A student vote will be held to elect the new student council.
Duties and responsibility of the student council
- Attend meetings
- Assisting at school events, bake sale, book fair etc.
- Make class announcements